Augmented, Virtual, Immersive and Mixed Reality are all leading to a world in which the physical and the digital sphere increasingly merge together. Humanity is finding itself at the dawn of a new reality.
- 2016 is considered the year when Virtual Reality becomes mainstream as several companies are launching their powerful VR headsets, games and cameras
- More powerful smartphones (in terms of computation, integrated sensors, etc.) and the incredibly broad dissemination of these devices are the key factors why AR-games like Pokemon Go are so massively successful now
- While Virtual Reality will lead revenues over the next 2 years, the future will definitely be Augmented or Mixed Reality
- 360-videos on Facebook or YouTube are increasingly used by brands, news agencies or individuals to provide exciting, immersive viewing experiences
- VR/AR will become a new major media platform. It has massive potential to impact how peoplework, learn, play, exercise, communicate, transact, socialize, and consume content
- Increasingly, we will see a shift from 2D content (e.g. a website) to 3D content
Read this to shift your mind
Several in-depth articles exploring everything you need to know about Virtual Reality.
Good article on the driving factors and technology behind AR as well as a brief outlook into future possible applications.
Wired magazine explores massively funded AR startup Magic Leap's endeavor to create a new kind of reality.
A look at the potential of VR regarding social networks with several interesting examples.
Associated Trends and Topics
# Smartphones: the increasing dissemination of smartphones [read more]
# Wearables: miniature electronic devices that are worn under, with or on top of clothing [read more]
# Augmented Reality: the process of superimposing digitally rendered images onto our real-world surroundings [read more]
# Virtual Reality: a three-dimensional, computer generated environment which can be explored and interacted with [read more]